GSTR 10 Due Dates, Format & Filing
What is GSTR-10?
Form GSTR-8 is a monthly return form to be furnished by all e-commerce operators who are required to deduct TCS (Tax Collected at Source) under GST.Form GSTR-10 is a final return form to be furnished by all taxable persons whose GST registration is cancelled or surrendered.
Here it is important to understand the difference between a final return and an annual return, basically the difference between GSTR-10 and GSTR-9.
- Annual Return – or Form GSTR-9 is to be filed by all registered persons paying tax as a normal taxpayer under GST, and it has to be filed once a year.
- Final Return – or Form GSTR-10 is to be filed by all persons whose registration has been cancelled or surrendered, and is a one-time process.
Who are required to file GSTR-10?
GSTR-10 return filing is to be done only by the persons whose registration under GST has been cancelled or surrendered. Regular taxable persons under GST are not required to file this return.
When is the GSTR-10 last date?
The GSTR-10 due date is basically three months from the date of cancellation or date of cancellation order whichever is later.
What if GSTR-10 filing is done late?
If there is a delay in filing GSTR-10, then a notice will be sent to the registered person who has defaulted. The person will be given 15 days' time for filing the return with all the documents required. Still, if the person fails to file the return, then the tax officer will pass the final order for the cancellation with the amount of tax payable along with interest and penalty.
How to revise GSTR-10?
Form GSTR-10 once filed cannot be revised. Any mistake made in the return can be revised in the next month's return, when the error or omission is identified.
GSTR-10, being a final return, has substantial number of fields which are auto-populated, while the rest are to be furnished.
How to file GSTR-10
Following are the details to be provided in the GSTR-10 form, spread across 10 tables:
- GSTIN: Auto-populated
- Legal Name: Auto-populated
- Business Name: Auto-populated
- Address: Auto-populated
- Application Reference Number: The ARN needs to be furnished in case the application for cancellation has been approved by the authorities. In such cases, the ARN will be communicated to the taxpayer at the time of passing the cancellation order.
- Effective Date of Surrender / Cancellation: In this section, one needs to mention the date of cancellation of GST registration as included in the order.
- Whether Cancellation Order has been passed: The taxpayer needs to specify whether the return is being filed on the basis of cancellation order or on a voluntary basis.
- Unique ID of Cancellation Order (If answer in Table 7 is "Yes"): An Unique ID will be provided by the authorities at the time of passing the cancellation order.
- Date of Cancellation Order: This will be the date on which the GST registration cancellation order is passed by the authorities.
- Particulars of Closing Stock: The taxpayer needs to furnish details of closing stock held at the time of closing the business. Any amount of credit lying in such stock needs to be paid along with this return. This section has a sub-table i.e. Table 10 A – Amount of tax payable on closing stock. As mentioned before, the credit lying in inputs and / or capital goods need to be paid to the administration. This amount is auto-populated based on the declaration of closing stock of goods in Table 10.