Input Tax Calculator
1. Input Tax Credit Calculation
Input Tax Credit is the soul of GST. The reason behind the same is that, in the GST era, ITC will be used to meet the output tax liability, which is why businesses should attach extra care towards input tax calculation. Availing the right ITC will ensure that the working capital of the business is maintained properly, and also help to maintain the credibility of the business.
2. Tax Calculation under GST
Under GST, the taxes applicable are CGST, SGST/UTGST & IGST.
- For intra-state transactions: CGST + SGST/UTGST will be availed
- For inter-state transactions: IGST will be availed
For all such transactions, whenever a business pays a particular tax, the appropriate amount will get apportioned to the respective electronic ledger, which can then be used to meet the future tax liability.
3. How is Input Tax Credit Calculated?
In order to calculate input tax credit, the following rules need to be adhered to:
- Amount of Input Tax Credit on account of IGST shall first be utilized for the payment of IGST then for payment of CGST and then for payment of SGST / UTGST.
- Amount of Input Tax Credit on account of CGST shall first be utilized for the payment of CGST then for payment of IGST. Such amount cannot be used for payment of SGST / UTGST.
- Amount of Input Tax Credit on account of SGST / UTGST shall first be utilized for the payment of SGST / UTGST then for payment of IGST . Such amount cannot be used for payment of CGST.
- SGST / UTGST payable or Input tax credit of SGST / UTGST will be calculated state wise i.e. ITC of SGST in one state cannot be utilized for payment of SGST of another state.
- Input tax credit cannot be used for payment of interest, penalty, fees or any amount payable under the act other than the GST in manner mentioned above.
4. Your Input Tax Calculator – Invoice Matching Mechanism
- A matching mechanism has been developed to make sure there is no duplication in claiming ITC.
- It ensures that inward supplies returns filed by receiver matches outward supplies returns filed by supplier.
- Matching mechanism also helps in matching ITC claims with customs paid where goods are imported by registered taxable person.
- Any discrepancy which arises post verification is intimated to both parties so that they can make necessary corrections within the prescribed time frame.
- Based on the same, each business can devise their own GST payment calculator – to determine the amount of output tax to be met via ITC and the amount of output tax to be paid via cash.