Update: As per a tweet from the official Twitter handle of the GST Council on the evening of 1st Feb, 2018, it has been decided to extend the trial phase for generation of e-way bill, both for inter and intra-State movement of goods, in view of the difficulties faced by businesses in generating the e-way bill due to technical glitches. It shall be made compulsory from a date to be announced.
One of the important points about e-way bill is that it is not valid for movement of goods or consignments without a vehicle number on it. In case the suppliers or the recipients are transporting the consignment of goods on their own via a private vehicle or a non-transporter vehicle, they themselves will fill the vehicle number. Otherwise, if the suppliers are using the services of a transporter, they will need to provide the Transporter ID of the transporter. The transporter will then need to sign in to the e-way bill portal and update vehicle number in e-way bill from his end.
However, there may be situations, where the vehicle might get changed. One reason could be that the transporter may be working with multiple vehicles working across different areas, and would have arranged for the consignment to be transited from one vehicle to another, as the goods pass from one area to another. Another, more practical reason could be vehicle breakdown, in which case, the transporter will need to get hold of another vehicle to continue the transport of goods. In both cases, it is imperative that we update the e-way bill with the right vehicle number, so that at any given point in time, should the e-way bill be checked by any tax official, the vehicle number should match with the vehicle carrying the consignment. This is precisely why, the provision has been kept to update vehicle number in e-way bill, any number of times.
Given below is the step-by-step procedure to update vehicle number in EWB, to ensure a smooth transportation of goods.
- 1.Before going for updating the vehicle number, one should be ready with the e-way bill for which one wants to update the vehicle number and also with the new vehicle number for data entry
- 2.Log on to ewaybill.nic.in
- 3.Enter the User Name and Password, then the Captcha Code, and then click "Login"
- 4. On successful authentication of the credentials, the main menu of the e-way bill portal will open up
- 5. On the left hand side of the main menu of the e-way bill portal, click the option "E-way Bill"
- 6.Click the sub-option "Update Vehicle No".
- 7.On doing so, one will see a screen, which allows one to view the concerned e-way bill. One can choose to see e-way bills by either of the following 3 options, under the field "Show E-way Bill":
- E-Way Bill No.
- Generated Date
- Generator GSTIN
- 8.Based on the option selected, one will be asked to enter the e-way bill number / generated date / generator GSTIN, which will fetch that particular e-way bill, for which one wants to update the vehicle number
- 9. Once one has selected the e-way bill, for which one wants to update the vehicle number, one will be redirected to the EWB vehicle number updation form
- 10. Based on the e-way bill selected, the following fields will be auto-populated:
- From GSTIN & Place Information
- To GSTIN & Place Information
- 11. The following fields will need to be filled in:
- Mode of Transport (Road, Rail, Air OR Ship)
- Enter Vehicle No. (If the mode of transportation is rail, air or ship, one needs to enter the transporter document number, instead of the vehicle number)
- Enter From Place
- Select From State (Select from the drop-down menu)
- Select Reason (Select from the drop-down menu, the appropriate reason, which could be transhipment or vehicle breaking down)
Once the request for updating vehicle number in e-way bill has been submitted, the portal will validate the values entered. In case of any error, the appropriate error message will pop-up. If all is in order, the vehicle number will be updated instantly, and will be aligned against the concerned e-way bill.